Good News: Foods That Help Sleep and Show How to Make Plain Yogurt Taste Good
Here’s a recipe that includes three foods that likely help sleep. Another benefit? It shows how to make plain yogurt taste good. Watch the video below, then click to print or pin the recipe.
Tart Cherry Yogurt Parfait
- 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt whole milk
- 1 tbsp tart cherries, dried
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 2 Tbsp roasted almonds
- Stir almond extract and tart cherries into yogurt
- Mix half of almonds into yogurt mixture
- Grind remaining almonds with a nut grinder and sprinkle on top as a garnish
Why These Are Foods That Help Sleep
According to food analysts and studies:
- Yogurt is a good source of calcium, a nutrient important for your body’s production of melatonin.
- Almonds actually contain melatonin, and one animal study linked the intake of almond extract with longer sleep.
- Tart cherries also contain melatonin, plus unique plant-based chemical compounds called polyphenols that also help improve sleep.
Melatonin, as you may know, is a hormone your brain makes that regulates your sleep and wake cycles. While some people take melatonin supplements, dietary supplements aren’t tightly regulated in the US and the actual content of many melatonin products can vary widely from what’s on the label. Taking too much can lead to headaches, changes in blood pressure, daytime fatigue, and depressed mood. https://fortune.com/well/2022/10/01/melatonin-taking-too-much-using-it-too-often/
I recommend choosing foods that nourish your body in multiple ways!
Why Eat Foods That Help Sleeping?
I gave some reasons in this blog https://deborahrankinrd.com/five-steps-to-better-sleep/
The quick answer is that short, disturbed sleep has been linked in many studies with:
- Craving sweets and carbohydrates
- Eating more calories
- Lower diet quality
- Increased belly fat
- Greater incidence of Alzheimer’s disease, high blood pressure, and obesity
I believe sleeping well is a great way to improve your overall health. Check out my book De-Stress Your Life: Turn Chaos Into Calm http://bit.ly/DeStressbook It has an entire chapter devoted to sleep!
For more strategies for losing belly fat, check out my free guide “Five Things to Start Now to Lose Belly Fat.”
Then, pick one thing you will do today to improve the quality of your sleep. What will it be? Please make a comment below, I’d love to hear your ideas.
©️ 2022 Healthy Habits Communications LLC