No Bake Cooking
Perhaps you’ve thought you need to eat more green vegetables. What makes it hard? What holds you back? My latest recipe Greens and Beans addresses many challenges you might face. Things like:
- I don’t have time to cook. (It takes nine minutes.)
- It’s too hot out to heat up the kitchen cooking. (A quick sauté, no bake cooking.)
- I get tired of eating salads. (So do I, this is not a salad.)
- Can green vegetables really taste good? (Yes!)
Green Veggies Are Good for You Because They…
- May reduce the risk of developing early macular degeneration, the leading cause of vision loss in people 50 years or older. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jand.2018.07.012
- Are linked to less decline in cognitive function as you age. https://deborahrankinrd.com/dark-green-veggie/
- Offer a ratio of potassium to sodium that may help reduce blood pressure, fluid retention, and belly bloat.
How to Cook Vegetables
You don’t have to boil them for hours, or choke down a soggy, dark mess. Try the recipe below, the video shows you how to do it.
Greens and Beans
- 3 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1/2 cup red onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 cup canned pinto beans drained
- 2 cups spinach chopped
- 2 tbsp cheese sauce
- Pour 2 Tbsp olive oil into heavy medium skillet and turn on heat to medium.
- Chop onion into thin slices. Crush garlic cloves and chop finely. Add both to skillet. Saute, stirring frequently, until onion is soft and browned.
- Add crushed coriander seeds and cumin to skillet and stir for about thirty seconds until spices release fragrance.
- Add drained pinto beans and stir until heated. This should take less than a minute. If beans begin to stick to skillet, add an additional Tbsp of olive oil.
- Add chopped spinach and stir until wilted, about one minute.
- Season with freshly grated pepper to taste. Gently stir in 2 Tbsp queso sauce. Remove from heat and serve.
Greens and Beans
I go on a greens kick every summer, because I grow kale in my garden and it’s so delicious to eat something I grew and just picked that morning.
Greens and beans is the third dark green veggie recipe I’ve shared. Here’s a fun challenge: try them all, then post a comment and let me know which one you liked best:
- Ten minute green veggie meal https://deborahrankinrd.com/dark-green-veggie/
- Green veggie barley bowl https://deborahrankinrd.com/green-veggie-barley-bowl/
- Greens and beans
Or maybe, you have one of your own you like better? Send it to me at email@example.com so I can learn from you!
Your Why for Health
If you feel frustrated because you don’t take care of yourself the way you’d like, it might help to dig deeper into your motivations. For help with that, check out my free cheat sheet “Your Why for Health.” See if it helps you find a clue about what really motivates you.
©️ 2022 Healthy Habits Communications LLC