This green veggie barley bowl is one of my favorite new recipes. It’s a meatless meal packed with flavor, nutrition, and bright colors.
Green Veggie Barley Bowl
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 red onion sliced thin
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 cup quick barley
- 4 oz mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 tsp dried marjoram
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 6 grape tomatoes
- 1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- Put olive oil in large saucepan and heat on medium.
- Add thinly sliced red onion and rosemary and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions caramelize and turn a deep golden brown.
- Add sliced mushrooms and cook until soft and brown.
- Add barley and cook and stir for about one minute.
- Add marjoram and vegetable broth. Cover saucepan with a lid and simmer until barley absorbs most of the liquid and becomes tender, about ten to fifteen minutes.
- Remove lid, stir in chopped spinach and stir until wilted, one or two minutes.
- While spinach is wilting cut grape tomatoes into quarters.
- Add quartered tomatoes and almond slices to saucepan and stir through until warm.
- Remove from heat, plate and serve.
Foods to Eat to Lose Belly Fat
A recipe like this green veggy barley bowl may promote belly fat loss in several ways:
- Soluble fiber supports the growth of microbes in our intestines associated with reduced fat gain
- A 2:1 ratio of potassium to sodium helps reduce fluid retention and bloating
- High beta carotene intake from dark green leafy vegetables is associated with decreased blood levels of C-reactive protein, a marker of inflammation. Inflammation and metabolic stress often lead to fat accumulation. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34916884/
When you choose to give time in your day to fix a meal like this green veggie barley bowl, you show you value yourself and your body. This is an example of a positive health goal. Read more about positive health goals here: https://deborahrankinrd.com/health-goals-that-work/
Five Things to Start Now to Lose Belly Fat
I pulled together my recommendations for the five top things you can do to reduce extra fat in your abdomen. Get the free cheat sheet here:
In many ways our world seems out of balance as we see much pain and suffering. Nourish yourself, your family and friends, with wholesome meals like this green veggie barley bowl.
You have important things to do in life…give yourself strength for the journey.
©️ 2022 Healthy Habits Communications LLC
1 thought on “Green Veggie Barley Bowl”